[Beowulf] propagation velocity in cables

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Sep 5 16:52:54 PDT 2012

The electrons move very slowly.. much more slowly than the electromagnetic wave propagates.   (I'm thinking a few mm/sec for some reason.. it's real slow, in any case)

Undersea cables these days are all fiber optic.  So about 2/3 free space.

Microwave terrestrial links are at a variety of frequencies. You trade it off between antenna gain (higher frequency has higher gain for a given size antenna) and atmospheric losses (rain, mostly).  There are bands everywhere from 2.6 GHz on up to 110 GHz and higher.  Long haul tends to be lower frequency, short haul is higher.

Yes, there are laser comm systems, but generally used only for short distances (<10km) like between two buildings. Advantage is that you don't need much power, it's really wide bandwidth (Gbps is no problem) and it's difficult to snoop on (beams are very narrow with minimal spillover).  OTOH, you also have to have active pointing, typically.. the building sway in the wind is enough to break the link.  And, of course rain is a problem.

(there are long range laser comm systems used for things like, oh, satellite to submarine, at very low data rates.. all you have to do is send a few bits: "Launch Missiles to target N")

Jim Lux