[serval-project-dev] Serval Mesh and ham radio

Jeremy Lakeman jeremy at servalproject.org
Mon Oct 29 22:56:10 PDT 2012

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 2:50 PM, W5SVL <w5svl at aol.com> wrote:
> Greetings from Texas.  I am a ham radio operator and I have been
> experimenting with the Serval Mesh by using 2 inexpensive unactivated
> Android smartphones.  I am attempting to use the Serval Mesh through an
> existing HSMM MESH network.  HSMM MESH is an experimental ham radio mesh
> network that uses the first 6 wifi channels in the 2.4 Ghz band.  The radios
> used are older versions of the WRT54G router that have been flashed with a
> new firmware.  There are some awesome communication possibilities here, but
> I do not have the networking skills to do this.  Maybe my idea is not
> possible, but hopefully someone will comment.

So after a quick bit of research;
- HSMM is a custom radio protocol that exposes a standard IP network interface
- olsr is being used to mesh these devices together
- other devices may use the network through the LAN interface
So you would have a second access point that the serval phone can
connect to for internet and mesh traffic?
This doesn't sound like a network that serval can transparently
co-exist on. Yet.

Though we have done some initial work to support serval nodes
discovering each other over an olsr network, we haven't built any
protocol to exchange reach-ability information for other locally
connected serval phones. This is a reasonably large piece of work that
we don't have the time to build right now.

You could build servald for the mesh routers and run it on every
device in the network. Though our routing protocol is not as mature as
olsr.

>  Also as a ham, I can legally use much more power on the 2.4 Ghz band, and I
> have found the Serval Mesh to work very well through a bi directional RF
> amplifier installed between a router and an external antenna.  There is no
> internet connection here.  I am just using the router as a radio repeater.
> Has anyone else tried this?  This would not be using the HSMM MESH as I
> mentioned above, since only one router would be used.  This one router
> repeater could really be useful in emergencies.  Please give me some
> comments on both of these experimental ideas.  Perhaps I should consult with
> a ham operator who has more networking knowledge than I have.  Any help will
> be appreciated.

So this router is operating as a simple ethernet bridge?

----- End forwarded message -----