[serval-project-dev] Serval Mesh and ham radio

W5SVL w5svl at aol.com
Tue Oct 30 15:03:29 PDT 2012

A quick internet search shows the Australian Advanced and Standard ham
licenses are very similar to the US licenses.  There is no longer a
requirement to learn morse code.  The US hams are allowed use of
the 902-928 Mhz frequencies, but I did not see these frequencies allocated
to Australian hams.  The Australian Standard license allows hams to use
the 2.4-2.45 Ghz frequencies which would cover the first 6 wifi
channels.  Ham radio operations within these 6 wifi channels would allow
experimentation with higher power levels.  Ham radio is worldwide, so many
of the operating practices are quite similar.  My coverage with the 15 db
vertical extends out about 5-6 miles, but it is not reliable at these
distances because of local trees.  I really should find a way to put my
antenna up higher or try another location.  You are correct with the +42 db
gain, but I must have some unknown losses in the connectors or coax.
Miccrowave frequencies easily lose power in coax transmission.  I have
experimented with horizontal polarization and this works better because you
receive much less vertically polarized interference from conventional
wifi.  The 36 db commercial internet providers advertise coverage for about
9 miles, so you see what you could do with a taller antenna.  And yes, your
handheld phones can operate at long wifi distances because I have done that
during a test of emergency operations.

The US hams seem to be drawn to the HSMM MESH concept.  I have tried to
send Serval Mesh messages through HSMM by using 4 routers, but it does not
work. There is very little experimenting being done with smartphones as I
have done.  Perhaps this may change if the Serval Mesh becomes known.  Good
luck with your program.......

David, W5SVL

----- End forwarded message -----