[liberationtech] Federal interception of CIA emails to journalists, and journalists emails to legal team

jd.cypherpunks jd.cypherpunks at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 08:17:16 PDT 2012

John, I agree to everything you said.
Regarding my experiences I think that commercial VPN providers and anonymizer
- and yes, this includes Tor also - are one big honey trap. In this enviroment
it's impossible to protect whistleblower and I advice everybody to avoid
submissions via the net.

--Michael

24.10.2012, 13:20 John Young <jya at pipeline.com>:

> Journalists lack of comsec has always been the weakest link of
> unauthorized disclosures.
>
> Worse is the more pervasive comsec lack by the lazy
> overly privileged and coddled publishing industry: publishers, attorneys,
> permanent and temporary staff, janitors, visitorsm, messengers, wives
> and husbands, children and friends asked to guide parents with
> computers, housekeepers, ISPs, cellphone providers and those
> pesky pests, insiders and black-baggers working the industry since
> it was created and sustained to be all too trustworthy by spies and
> sources.
>
> The miscreants deserve Scarlet Letters, since they seldom risk
> punishment, not for publishing courage but for comsec negligence
> and a persistent flood of leaks for which they put others at
> risk with callous indifference bred by arrogance and constitutional
> protection.
>
> Assange made four comsec mistakes: trusting new staff and
> fair weather friends, believing best friends in the press would
> protect him, believing confidential lawyers, then believing
> national leaders -- all of them major leakers, social engineers
> and targets of spies. What Lamo social engineered out of Manning
> is kid stuff by comparison for the industries that thrive and
> get rich on siphoning and leaking information.
>
> Never communicate with a member of the media, legal and
> political gangs who will sacrifice you and avidly exploit your
> cowering in a bolt hole or molderng at Leavenworth and
> eagerly expect lengthy trials for more gush and actionable
> intelligence on supporters, protestors, bloggers, journos,
> and us blathering here and where else but Tor, the biggest
> honey trap since religion.
>

> At 04:09 AM 10/24/2012, Eugen Leitl wrote:
>> ----- Forwarded message from frank at journalistsecurity.net -----
>>
>> From: frank at journalistsecurity.net
>> Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 21:38:16 -0700
>> To: liberationtech <liberationtech at lists.stanford.edu>
>> Subject: [liberationtech] Federal interception of CIA emails to
journalists,
>>        and journalists emails to legal team
>>
>> This case seems to be of value to the list. Ex-CIA Officer John Kiriakou
>> on Tuesday pleaded guilty to disclosing the name of a CIA figure to
>> former ABC News journalist Matthew Cole. The indictment against
>> Kiraiakou released in April indicated that Federal authorities had
>> obtained emails between Kiriakou and three journalists including Cole
>> and another ABC News journalist along with Scott Shane of The New York
>> Times. The indictment also indicates that authorities intercepted a
>> subsequent email by Cole (with information from Kiriakou) to a defense
>> investigator with attorneys for terror suspects being held in
>> Guantanamo.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/24/us/former-cia-officer-pleads-guilty-in-leak
-case.html?_r=0

http://www.politico.com/blogs/under-the-radar/2012/04/more-journalists-linked
-to-case-charging-excia-officer-120047.html