[liberationtech] Code for America Open Data Hackathon

Yosem Companys companys at stanford.edu
Sun Oct 21 01:46:20 PDT 2012

Code for America's Data Deathmatch! Nov. 2rd/3rd, Fight Political
Corruption and Help Schools Work Smarter!

Are you a hacker, designer, or civic nerd who wants to fight political
corruption or thinks that our schools should work smarter? Choose your
focus, work with our government allies, and join Code for America for
a hackathon to improve the cities we live in. Webve opened datasets,
now available through well documented APIs, and have lined up a
blockbuster group of open data advocates standing ready to help you
build apps that will revolutionize the way citizens interact with
government.

Data DeathMatch!
Nov 2nd, 2012: 6:30PM - 8PM (mixer, kickoff), Nov. 3rd 9AM - 7PM (hackathon)
Code for America HQ: 155 9th St, San Francisco, CA.
Sign-up: http://datadeathmatch.eventbrite.com

Guest Speakers:
Ann Ravel, Chair of Californiabs Fair Political Practices Commission
James Sanders, Innovation Manager for KIPP Bay Area Schools
Phil Trounstine, co-editor and publisher of Calbuzz
Kuang Chen, CEO of Captricity
Franklin Chien, CEO of LearnSprout
Alex Tran, Code for America Accelerator

How are we different than other hackathons? Webre bringing the experts
to YOU, to work on shiny, newly accessible data. If youbve ever wanted
to build a civic or education app with a real understanding of the
context behind the data, this is your chance.

What are we working with?
Government data: The Fair Political Practices Commission (FPPC) of
California (our statebs official watchdog that holds public officials
accountable) has recently taken the bold step to make the 2011
economic interest filings of some California officials available as
structured data, not just PDFs on a website. Stocks and houses and
gifts, oh my! You have the chance to raise the bar for all
transparency initiatives by creating new value out of this data.

Education Data: For developers looking to jump into the growing
educational technology market, LearnSprout offers a unique opportunity
to turbo charge your idea. The company has built the first-ever API
that allows you to tap into live data from a school or districtbs
Student Information System (SIS). This opens the door to countless
possibilities that before, would be impossible without access to live
data.

Bonus: Prizes: $1000! Beer, breakfast, lunch, and dinner in the
amazing Code for America offices! Also, board games, ping pong and air
hockey!

----- End forwarded message -----