[tor-talk] registration for youtube, gmail over Tor - fake voicemail / sms anyone?

Ted Smith tedks at riseup.net
Tue Oct 16 08:11:01 PDT 2012

On Tue, 2012-10-16 at 16:25 +0200, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> ----- Forwarded message from Mike Hearn <hearn at google.com> -----
>
> From: Mike Hearn <hearn at google.com>
> Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 14:36:43 +0200
> To: tor-talk at lists.torproject.org
> Subject: Re: [tor-talk] registration for youtube,
> 	gmail over Tor - fake voicemail / sms anyone?
<snip>
> So I'm afraid we don't have a good solution for people who want to
> sign up to Google anonymously today beyond buying accounts and getting
> unlinkability that way, but as I said, that's against our terms of
> service and can easily be confused with abuse so it's somewhat
> dangerous.
>
> thanks
> -mike

This implies a pretty easy business model:

      * rent botnet proxies at some cost
      * make google accounts over botnets, farming the captchas out at
        some other cost
      * sell google accounts for bitcoins at cost + other cost + profit
        margin over a tor hidden service
      * profit

You could probably do the account creation on-demand so you had no
inventory buildup, even. If you started getting lots of demand, you
could start pre-registering accounts.

This one's a freebie for anyone on this list with more time than me.

Since I have a Google account, I'd like to say that I will never do
this, as it would be against Google's ToS and as such, criminally
illegal (see
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Lori_Drew>).

Also, nobody else should do this. That would be illegal and therefore
wrong. /fingerwag

--
Sent from Ubuntu