[ZS] Re: looking into cjdns

Spencer Campbell lacertilian at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 19:22:31 PDT 2012

On Wednesday, October 10, 2012 8:18:06 AM UTC-7, The Doctor
[412/724/301/703] wrote:

> It has an implementation of routing (several, actually) but ultimately
> it sets up a separate wireless network from the ones we're used to.

My impression is that Byzantium's ad-hoc mesh network would look a whole
lot *like *the networks we're used to, though. If it grew big enough. Am I
mistaken? Maybe Byzantium doesn't scale the way I've assumed it does, and
you'd end up with a sort of "clumpy" situation, where you have less of a
global Internet and more of a smattering of smaller imperfectly-connected
internets. I guess that's implied by the emphasis on wireless connections
-- hard to get WiFi across continents. It seems clear that cjdns is
intended to scale to arbitrary sizes. So, the infrastructure goes down and
you rely on Byzantium until the new infrastructure (based, perhaps, on
cjdns) comes online? Is that the idea?

Seems like it'd be more efficient to just give the emergency system the
ability to "grow up" into a new status quo. Then I wouldn't have to install
a new distro when the post-post-apocalypse rolls around. You have to be
practically there already, given that Byzantium interfaces with the
contemporary Internet without complaints, yeah?

(Thanks for humoring me. I hope my profession of ignorance is less painful
for you than it is for me.)

----- End forwarded message -----