[serval-project-dev] Implementing a different routing protocol

Fraser Cadger cadge01 at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 29 12:48:33 PST 2012

Paul,

Thank you very much for your fast reply!

Your suggestion of using Rhizome instead of the MDP overlay is interesting,
and definitely worth considering. Although I read a little about Rhizome on
the Serval website I don't think I really appreciated it's capabilities.
Also, when I installed the release version of Serval from Google Play,
selecting Rhizome didn't appear to do anything (I'm not sure if this was an
error or because the Rhizome could wasn't fully functioning then).
Therefore, when I came to read the Serval code I decided to skip the
Rhizome code to save time.

Now it would seem as though this was a mistake, and your description of
Rhizome in particular the journal concept sounds very interesting. I have
been considering implementing some for of peer-to-peer/distributed approach
for the actual streaming, due to the distribute nature of an ad-hoc/mesh
network. In the envisaged networks node mobility will be permissible and
this in addition to other dynamics calls for distributed approaches. The
journal concept could be of great use here, with some tweaking as you
mention. Using the p2p idea, I would envisage some form of peer/node
selection for participation in the streaming, and then the use of my
routing protocol to do the actual protocol. However, I have always intended
interaction between the streaming application and routing layers, and so it
is possible that the end result will lack the formal separation between
overlay and 'underlay' routing found in traditional applications.

I also like your suggestion of using Serval Maps for sharing location. In
most geographic routing protocols there is something known as a location
service which acts as a mechanism for sharing node locations so that nodes
who are not in direct contact with each other can still find their
locations. Initially, to test geographic routing, I was just planning on
running five phones in a static scenario and checking locations manually,
just to test geographic routing was possible. However, as my project is
actually concerned with mobility I will eventually need to find a way of
allowing nodes to share their locations. The visual aspect of Serval Maps
also sounds appealing for, as you say, choosing which nodes you want to see
a video. Having a graphical means of selecting nodes for streaming is
definitely something we would like.

One last question, I've had a quick look through the Serval code, and am I
right in saying all of the Rhizome code is located in the serval-dna
folder, or is there other Rhizome code elsewhere?

About contributing code, I am happy to do that via the repository.

Thanks again for your reply.

Fraser

----- End forwarded message -----