[ZS] Re: [FoRK] Reminder: ZSF launch event tomorrow! Please help spread the?word?if you can!

Bryce Lynch virtualadept at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 09:20:39 PST 2012

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 11:20 AM, Dirk Bruere <dirk.bruere at gmail.com> wrote:

> My biggest worry about BC is that at some point the algorithm will be
> hacked and BC rendered worthless.
> I keep looking at stuff like DWave quantum computers

Whether or not DWave's products are true quantum computers is still a
matter of debate due to the specifics of the architecture (quantum
annealing != quantum-entangled bits).  Secondly, if and when true quantum
CPUs are developed, a lot bigger fish than Bitcoin are in line to be
fried.  Among them, the encrypted communication links used by global banks,
multinational corporations, and large governments.  Don't forget cracking
the keys on pilfered encrypted data, either (you can bet your bottom
$unit_of_currency that people want to find out what's really in the file
wikileaks-insurance-20120222.tar.bz2.aes).

Also, the Bitcoin protocol was designed so that the message digest and
cryptographic algorithms could be swapped out if need be.  There are at
least six categories of algorithms at this time that would fit that
particular bill, and no doubt more will spring up.

--
The Doctor [412/724/301/703] [ZS (MED)]
https://drwho.virtadpt.net/

----- End forwarded message -----