[FoRK] Reminder: ZSF launch event tomorrow! Please help spread the word if you can!

Gregory Alan Bolcer greg at bolcer.org
Fri Nov 16 10:33:59 PST 2012

You keep changing the subject.

The idea that all money is equivalent is the argument bitcoin wants to
make. You asked for flaws in that argument, so I played devil's advocate.
The flaw is that bitcoin is not accredited and the amortized value is being
fed by criminal activity.

The legal argument against Napster was that it was solely a criminal
enterprise, whose only purpose was to steal copyrighted material, and the
criminal activity was not separate from the purpose of its being. Further,
everything that it was and will ever be, would never evolve past the
ability to steal copyrighted material. (You can agree or disagree with
that, but that was the determination that led to its downfall).

That's not to say that bitcoin (or Napster which failed to do so) can't
evolve past a criminal enterprise.  I was simply pointing out that it
hasn't done so thus far and the mechanisms it's using are incentived so
that investors have a vested stake to cover up or remain willfully
ignorant of that criminal activity.

In the RISKS part of the transhumanist/bci portfolio, the over-dependence
on bitcoin should be spelled out as a specific risk, unless of course the
ZS people truly believe they are post-logical and true believers, which
would make them a cult and not the ultra-logical transhumanists they truly
believe.

I'm not claiming what you state below, only that the market which was set
up has yet to evolve past the tipping point.  Do you believe bitcoin has
evolved past a criminal enterprise?

Greg

----- End forwarded message -----