[p2p-hackers] Bitcoin incentive on Kademlia networks

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Sun Nov 4 00:07:16 PDT 2012

On 2012-11-03 6:32 PM, ianG wrote:

> Beyond this simple statement, however, is a sea of ideas, in which one
> can easily drown.  E.g., you've identified a simple exchange process,
> discovered a weakness, and then proposed a reputation system to cover
> the weakness.  Adding a reputation system to solve issues is like a
> deux ex machina in systems;  Rep systems are little understood and
> generally or frequently crap, so chances are you'll end up building
> something that won't work, and wasting a lot of time in doing it.

Price discovery is hard, and reputation systems are hard.

Nonetheless, we need price discovery, and we need reputation systems.  I
am not sure how to get there from here.

But yes, there is no point in fixing a problem which is hard to solve,
with a solution to a problem that no one has yet adequately solved.

> Mojo Nation tried to be an economically informed p2p system, but seemed
> to run out of grunt as a project.  It failed because it tried to solve
> every problem, and drowned.

Mojo failed to address the problem of price discovery, which was central.
I would say Mojo drowned of insufficient ambition, rather than excessive
ambition.

Xanadu failed of excessive ambition

----- End forwarded message -----