[p2p-hackers] economics and networking/storage services (was: Bitcoin incentive on Kademlia networks)

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn zooko at zooko.com
Sun Nov 4 08:58:46 PST 2012

My own p2p project, https://tahoe-lafs.org, is carefully building up
toward automation to support social/economic incentives in distributed
storage:

https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/wiki/NewAccountingDesign

https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/wiki/Ostrom

If we finally get there, we will then have circled back around:

 b" from Tahoe-LAFS's roots (its direct ancestor was Mojo Nation),

 b" to a stripped-down version that had no automation to help with
social/economic problems and required the users to arrange all that
themselves (today's Tahoe-LAFS),

 b" and back to a version that has automation to help people find new
trading partners on the Net, track and control their transactions with
them, extend special offers to their friends, and so forth (tomorrow's
Tahoe-LAFS?).

If our plans work out, then the resulting thing will be reliable and
functional b unlike the original Mojo Nation, which never worked well
enough to be valuable to users.

Regards,

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn

Founder, CEO, and Customer Support Rep