[p2p-hackers] is economics off-topic?

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn zooko at zooko.com
Sat Nov 3 09:49:04 PDT 2012

Dear all members of p2p-hackers:

Speaking as the moderator of p2p-hackers mailing list, I don't
consider this to be too "off-topic". I don't think I'll have to ask
anyone to quiet down just because they are going on about economics.
Honestly, I have always kind of thought that p2p theory and practice
was incomplete without the addition of a lot of economics, so I
actually kind of regard economics as pretty much right on topic for
this list!

Now, even if I'm not going to ask you to pipe down, you might still
decide to limit your posting on the topic because you suspect that a
lot of the readers are bored or annoyed by it, or because you're just
expressing your opinion about politics and nobody is really going to
learn anything new or change their minds from reading what you've
said. (They're just going to express *their* opinion about politics,
thus leaving both of you no wiser and wasting twice as much of
everyone else's time scrolling through it.)

If you, oh Members of this List, really hate to see such conversation
and feel that it is detracting from your opportunity to have a better
conversation on a different topic, then please post publicly or email
me privately and say so. Maybe if there's an upwelling of strong
difference of opinion on that then I could create another list called
"p2p-econ" or something. My guess is that there won't be enough people
who complain vociferously enough to motivate me to make a new list for
this.

Regards,

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn

Founder, CEO, and Customer Support Rep