[drone-list] Drones Up to 25 Pounds Allowed for U.S. Safety Agencies [Bloomberg News]

villa at ee.ucla.edu villa at ee.ucla.edu
Tue May 15 13:44:25 PDT 2012

Hi all,

Thanks to Nabiha for posting this link. I've been trying
to understand how, if the law stated 4.4 pounds, the FAA agreements
allow UAVs up to 25 pounds. With the full recognition that there's
more information needed, here's one possible explanation
for consideration:

The law says that

"Not later than 90 days after the date of enactment of this Act
[e.g. May 14], the Secretary shall enter into agreements" that,
among other things "allow a government public safety agency to
operate unmanned aircraft weighing 4.4 pounds or less."

However, the law didn't explicitly say that the FAA *couldn't*
authorize heavier UAVs. It just says that UAVs of 4.4 pounds
or less must be provided for. So, if the FAA had, on May 14,
entered into agreements that placed an upper limit of 3 pounds,
it would not have been in compliance with the law. But, a cap exceeding
4.4 pounds is apparently, from a strictly logical standpoint,
believed by the FAA to be within the scope of the language.

I'm not saying that I agree that this was the intent of the
law, but that this may be one explanation for the 4.4 vs. 25 pound
issue.

If that is indeed the case, it's probably not a bad idea to
re-examine the entire UAV section of the law with this sort of
thing in mind to whether there are other sections where the
language admits this sort of flexibility.

Again, the above may not be the correct explanation, as it
seems like we are missing some information regarding the
decisions that led to the 25-pound number.

Thanks,
John

> Of interest:
>
> http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-05-14/drones-up-to-25-pounds-allowed-for-u-dot-s-dot-safety-agencies
>
> Any speculation as to why the increase from 4.4 lbs to 25 lbs?
>
> Nabiha
>
> If you would like to receive a daily digest, click "yes" (once you click
> above) next to "would you like to receive list mail batched in a daily
> digest?"
>
> You will need the user name and password you receive from the list
> moderator in monthly reminders.
>
> Should you need immediate assistance, please contact the list moderator.

Should you need to change your subscription options, please go to:

----- End forwarded message -----