[ExI] The NSA's new data center

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sat Mar 24 05:36:51 PDT 2012

I did a little calculation: at what point can governments spy 24/7 on
their citizens and store all the data?

I used the World Bank World Development Indicators and IMF predictors for
future GDP growth and the United nations median population forecasts, the
fit 10.^(-.2502*(t-1980)+6.304) for the cost (in dollars)per gigabyte
(found on various pages about Kryder's law) and the assumption that 24/7
video surveillance would require 10 TB per person per year.

Now, if we assume the total budget is 0.1% of the GDP and the storage is
just 10% of that (the rest is overhead, power, cooling, facilities etc),
then the conclusion is that doing this becomes feasible around 2020.
Bermuda, Luxenbourg and Norway can do it in 2018, by 2019 most of Western
Europe plus the US and Japan can do it. China gets there in 2022. The last
countries to reach this level are Eritrea and Liberia in 2028, and finally
Zimbabwe in 2031. By 2025 the US and China will be able to monitor all of
humanity if they want to/are allowed.

So at least data storage is not going to be any problem. It would be very
interesting to get some estimates of the change in cost of surveillance
cameras and micro-drones, since presumably they are the ones that are
actually going to be the major hardware costs. Offset a bit because we are
helpfully adding surveillance capabilities to all our must-have smartphones
and smart cars. I suspect the hardware part will delay introduction a bit
in countries that want it, but that just mean there will be hardware
overhang once they get their smart dust, locators or gnatbots.

Note that this kind of video archive is useful even if you don't have a
myriad analysts, perfect speech recognition or AI (in fact, it would be a
great incentive and training corpus for developing them). When you figure
out that somebody is doing or have just done something nasty, you can
easily backtrack and check on everybody they had been in touch with. It
would be quite easy to catch most members of any rebel network this way as
soon as it was recognized as a rebel network - and one could easily create
incentives for not associating with potential subversives and/or reporting
them, adding crowdsourced reporting. The only kind of uprisnings with any
kind of chance would be spontaneous eruptions.

The more interesting (sinister) uses of this kind of intelligence corpus
is of course to do trials and experiments to see what predicts social norm
compliance and obedience. How well does various forms of nudging work? What
about the longitudinal loyalty effects of natural or deliberate
experiments? How well can you predict people from their saccade patterns?

We might actually be living in a short window of opportunity right now.
The problem is not the surveillance per se, but the danger from
non-accountable uses of them once they are in place. Totalitarian
governments with this kind of transparency might prove extremely hard to
dislodge, and could become stable attractor states. This suggests that we
should work very hard on figuring out how to maintain government
accountability even when it has total surveillance powers, and how to
prevent open societies from sliding into the totalitarian trap. Given that
the tail statistics of big disasters is dominated by pandemics, wars and
democides we have very good reasons to view this as among the top questions
for human survival.

Appendix:

2018    Bermuda
2018    Luxembourg