[p2p-hackers] Distributed filesystem choices (aka: none yet?)

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Thu Mar 22 16:41:10 PDT 2012

On 2012-03-23 4:55 AM, Volodya wrote:
> I don't quite understand. The system must be [anonymous in the sense that the
> uploader cannot be identified]&&  [have moderation system based on something
> other than the blocks popularity like in GnuNet/Freenet*]. The system must be
> [using limited amount of disk space given by its users] and [provide infinite
> storage guarantee when moderation doesn't apply].
>
> I think that the reason why you can't find this filesystem is akin to the reason
> why all-powerful, all-knowing, and all-good god has not been spotted yet.

Here is a solution:

Everyone is, as with Bitcoin, identified by a public key - but by quite a
few public keys, providing not anonymity but pseudonymity.

When you store stuff on someone else's system you issue an IOU, which IOU
is anonymously transferable, using a chaumian protocol, which *does*
provide anonymity - you pseudonymously store other people's stuff, and
anonymously use the resulting IOUs to store your own stuff.

>From time to time you check that stuff that is stored on someone else's
system is available by random sampling.

When stuff stored on someone else's system becomes inaccessible, you note
him as unreliable, and thus decline to issue IOUs or services to him in
future, though since IOUs are transferable, you are still up for any IOUs
you have issued to him in the past.

The software attempts to cancel out IOUs - so that if Bob provides
services to Carol, Carol provides services to Edwards, and Edwards
provides services to Bob, they cancel out.  If someone's IOUs get
cancelled out in a cycle of IOUs that include your own, or include those
you have confidence are reliable, this is evidence he is reliable in that
his IOUs are good.

You try to store stuff with those that you have reason to believe are
reliable, and with those where storing stuff with them enables you to
cancel out IOUs.

You give low priority to storing stuff from people whose IOUs you have no
reason to believe.

Repeating: You pseudonymously store other people's stuff, using a nym that
gains reputation thereby, and anonymously store your stuff on other
people's systems, using a nym with no reputation.

----- End forwarded message -----