[p2p-hackers] Nash equilibrium on p2p networks

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Wed Mar 7 11:48:50 PST 2012

On 2012-03-08 1:52 AM, Matteo Dell'Amico wrote:
> On 07/03/2012 15:02, danimoth wrote:
>> Il giorno mar, 06/03/2012 alle 16.34 +0000, Michael Rogers ha scritto:
>> If you're modelling a DHT as a game then who are the players, what are
>>> the possible strategies, what are the payoffs, how much do the players
>>> know about each other's strategies and payoffs, and what strategy do
>> you
>>> want to encourage?
>>>
>> That's are the questions I'm asking to myself since first post, and
>> looking to other's work (if exists) applied to p2p networks maybe could
>> help me.
>
> There's actually plenty of work on incentives to cooperation in P2P
> systems that can actually interest you. The keywords to look for in
> Google Scholar are probably "p2p incentives", "p2p reputation".
>
> The papers about the topic that I like most are: "Incentives build
> robustness in BitTorrent" by Bram Cohen (P2PEcon 2003) and "Sybilproof
> reputation mechanisms" by Alice Cheng and Eric Friedman (P2PEcon 2005).

Available at http://www.ee.ucl.ac.uk/~mrio/papers/infocom09.pdf

I would summarize their proposal as ripple for bittorrent with a routing
algorithm.

The paper fails to consider the UI for managing reputation information, or
the UI for finding and identifying services

With a method for finding torrents and information about torrents, would
be a major improvement on bittorrent, since it provides seeding incentive.

----- End forwarded message -----