[p2p-hackers] Nash equilibrium on p2p networks

Matteo Dell'Amico matteodellamico at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 07:52:19 PST 2012

On 07/03/2012 15:02, danimoth wrote:
> Il giorno mar, 06/03/2012 alle 16.34 +0000, Michael Rogers ha scritto:
> If you're modelling a DHT as a game then who are the players, what are
>> the possible strategies, what are the payoffs, how much do the players
>> know about each other's strategies and payoffs, and what strategy do
> you
>> want to encourage?
>>
> That's are the questions I'm asking to myself since first post, and
> looking to other's work (if exists) applied to p2p networks maybe could
> help me.

There's actually plenty of work on incentives to cooperation in P2P
systems that can actually interest you. The keywords to look for in Google
Scholar are probably "p2p incentives", "p2p reputation".

The papers about the topic that I like most are: "Incentives build
robustness in BitTorrent" by Bram Cohen (P2PEcon 2003) and "Sybilproof
reputation mechanisms" by Alice Cheng and Eric Friedman (P2PEcon 2005).

I wrote my Ph.D. thesis on incentives to cooperation in P2P, and you might
be interested in the Background chapter:
http://www.disi.unige.it/person/DellamicoM/research/phd-thesis.pdf

cheers!

matteo

----- End forwarded message -----