[tor-talk] Tor and HTTPS graphic

Andrew Lewman andrew at torproject.is
Tue Mar 6 09:22:16 PST 2012

On Tue, 06 Mar 2012 11:22:33 -0500
Ted Smith <tedks at riseup.net> wrote:
> While I like the graphic overall, I think the "NSA as a global passive
> adversary" element is an example of the graphic being overloaded with
> information that will confuse/scare away most people.

So far, there is one story where Eva claims the NSA can break tor
easily, see this Tor and HTTPS graphic as proof:

https://secure.security.nl/artikel/40574/1/%2522NSA_kan_Tor-gebruikers_identificeren%2522.html

If your adversary is any rumored global passive adversary that can watch
and record the entire Internet at once, then you've probably already
lost the game.

At PETS in 2009[0], Paul did a talk on 'why I'm not an entropist' and
suggested that people need to start working on defeating a mythical
global passive adversary. Maybe in the near future some government will
have the capability of being the global passive adversary.

[0] http://petsymposium.org/2009/program.php

--
Andrew
http://tpo.is/contact