[OT-whats not these days?] 29 June calls o/b/o Citizens United C/A

J.A. Terranson measl at mfn.org
Thu Jun 28 14:53:14 PDT 2012

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 15:40:37 -0400 (EDT)
From: Move to Amend <info at MoveToAmend.org>
Subject: Dial it up

National Call-in Day for Move To Amend on June 29

The Senate Judiciary Committee, Subcommittee on the Constitution, Civil
Rights and Human Rights, chaired by Sen. Dick Durbin (D-IL), will be
holding hearings on July 17, 2012, to examine the three proposed
constitutional amendments currently introduced in the Senate, which
address "Citizens United v. FEC".

Invitations will be issued to the senators who have introduced amendments
and to a panel of advocates/experts, who will testify to:

  * The impact of Citizen's United v. FEC
  * The rise of SUPER PACs
  * The impact of unlimited corporate spending on individual candidates

Move To Amend (MTA) has not been invited to participate yet. We have been
in touch with Senator Durbin, who has complete discretion over who to
invite, and MTA members in the eleven states of the individual committee
members have already been in contact with their senators in pursuit of an
invitation.

We are now calling on all of our members to contact Senator Durbin --
please make a quick call tomorrow: (202) 224-2152.

Click here for call in details and a script: [
http://movetoamend.org/toolkit/national-call-day-senator-dick-durbin-june-29
]

Question: Why should we care about being invited to this hearing, despite
the fact that our amendment has no Senate sponsor yet?

Answer: We don't expect that the Senate will actually pass an amendment
any time soon, but it is important that our viewpoint be heard inside the
beltway. Our movement is growing, our demands are clear. When and if
Congress begins to move, it is imperative they know what the real solution
is and that there is a broad movement supporting it.

We must make clear to them that the issue goes beyond Citizens United. The
amendment must address corporate personhood and money as speech -- nothing
short of that will do.

Tomorrow, June 29, is National Call-in Day for MTA! Please call Senator
Durbin's office and express your desire that Move To Amend be invited to
the July 17 hearing. Find a short script, talking points, and the phone
number here: [
http://movetoamend.org/toolkit/national-call-day-senator-dick-durbin-june-29
]

We're hoping to raise a polite and non-violent ruckus by generating
thousands of calls, and we're counting on you to raise your voice
tomorrow. It will take no more than five minutes of your time, so please
add this event to your schedule: [
http://movetoamend.org/toolkit/national-call-day-senator-dick-durbin-june-29
]

MOVE TO AMEND: The National Campaign to End Corporate Personhood and Demand Real Democracy!
http://MoveToAmend.org  |  PO Box 610, Eureka CA 95502  |  (707) 269-0984

We, the People of the United States of America, reject the U.S. Supreme
Court's Citizens United ruling, and move to amend our Constitution to
firmly establish that money is not speech, and that human beings, not
corporations, are persons entitled to constitutional rights.