[liberationtech] Single board mini computers as circumvention tools

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Sat Jun 23 14:07:34 PDT 2012

On 06/23/2012 04:21 AM, Frank Corrigan wrote:
> Does anyone know of any research being done on the use of low-cost
> single board mini computers to run the likes of online circumvention
> tools like VPN, Tor, Gibberbot etc

The Guardian Project...?

> Whilst these boards have been around for sometime, since the
> introduction of Rasberry Pi, interest has grown and now there are many
> boards are being created like:

Rasberry Pi easily runs Debian - so it's basically the same as the
Torouter project with different hardware:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/Torouter

> ARM Mini PCs
> http://www.reghardware.com/2012/05/10/product_round_up_arm_mini_computers_the_best_and_the_rest/
> http://liliputing.com/2012/06/74-mk802-android-4-0-mini-pc-first-impressions-video.html

Yep that's what we did with the Excito and the DreamPlug.

> Android OS and other Linux OS appears to run easily on these boards and
> allows for use of software from the likes of:
> https://guardianproject.info/apps/ and http://www.whispersys.com/ (sadly
> now defunct)
>
> Some of these boards are also so cheap as to be disposable single use,
> or at least simple reuse after OS/Data erase.

There are some really nice things coming soon.

> I am looking at how easy it would be to develop and use a Linux OS  that
> only runs from the board's ram (LiveCD/USB/SDcard), such as TAILs
> <http://tails.boum.org>

Use Tails.

All the best,
Jacob

Should you need to change your subscription options, please go to:

If you would like to receive a daily digest, click "yes" (once you click above) next to "would you like to receive list mail batched in a daily digest?"

Should you need immediate assistance, please contact the list moderator.

Please don't forget to follow us on http://twitter.com/#!/Liberationtech

----- End forwarded message -----