[ZS] Bitcoincard - a Vingean localizer?

Lodewijk andri de la porte l at odewijk.nl
Fri Jun 22 13:06:59 PDT 2012

Upon more review of the website I'd say it's some solar panels (the thin,
10% efficiency type) some sort of e-paper like display (like on
calculators, lack of product pictures makes it hard to say) and a flex-PCB
with a radio segment, extremely small battery and microcontroller on it.

It's a smartcard with energy efficient display, antenna, capacitor and
solar panels. My guess is the radio distance will in practice never make
the 300m and if it does it wouldn't for very long (think <1m bursts). I
also don't think it'd last very long without sunlight (which is not widely
available in my wallet). Then again I don't think it'll actually do that
much. It'll basically be a nearly passive radio and run arduino like
applications.

On the subject of mesh networks, they can be done in a lightweight manner.
They just can't be done right like that. If you'd run a generic mesh of
this thing it won't be secure and robust IOW: won't be useful. I doubt it'd
do consistent addressing in a true-p2p manner. It looks like it's intended
more for burst bitcoin transaction flooding, nothing more. And flooding can
be done without addressing so that's good. It also makes sense that they'd
have "gateways" and that tracking would be helped so much.

Fun but site is build to hype it up. (someone referenced Apple, very
justified) It's a BITCOINcard, make no mistakes. I actually do think it's
quite awesome for Bitcoin transactions, and the formfactor makes more sense.

----- End forwarded message -----