ISP sniffing day begins July 1

Bryce Lynch virtualadept at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 06:45:29 PDT 2012

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 8:27 AM, rushkoff <rushkoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm guessing everyone here knows about this:
> http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/03/15/american-isps-to-launch-massive-copyright-spying-scheme-on-july-12/

Yep.  I wrote a couple of scripts that package meta-X-spook text in
UDP packets and launch them at random intervals, just to give them
something to look at.

> What I want to know is what does this mean for business clients of ISPs?
> Does this mean that everything they do, including their business secrets,
> are now being watched by the ISPs as well?

The safe thing to do would be to assume that companies' communications
are being recorded for analysis as well.  I don't see why ISPs would
differentiate between home and business customers on their networks
for this, if only to cover their butts in case somebody pwns
example.com's office LAN and uses it as a staging ground for an
attack.  It would minimize liability on the part of the ISP.

Office-to-office VPN connections might become popular as a result.  I
wish it were so, but I don't think this'll be the event that tips
PGP/GnuPG usage over the top into commonality, though I do advocate
and train for it at work for this reason.

--
The Doctor [412/724/301/703] [ZS]
https://drwho.virtadpt.net/

----- End forwarded message -----