PeerPoint Discussion - please don't use for other topics

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Mon Jun 18 21:34:20 PDT 2012

Actually, I think both comments are partially on the mark, and partially
off the mark.

We HAVE had peer-to-peer applications, of various sorts, for years.
USENET comes to mind (I can't think of very much that any centralized
social networks do that USENET news wasn't doing years ago.  And at one
point, someone did a very nice implementation of USENET on top of a
distributed hash table).  The failure of USENET has a lot more do to with
not finding a viable solution to spam than anything else.  Currently,
distributed CVS systems (notably GIT) are a peer-to-peer application that's
very successful.  And then there's torrent.

Re. Wikipedia and Linux:  Both build on rather rich ecosystems of prior
art, and development communities.  Wikis came first, in various flavors,
wikipedia.  The world wide web virtual library predated wikipedia by
decades.  It took a lot of experimentation, plus vision and drive before
wikipedia coalesced.  Linux builds on the legacy of Unix and lets not
forget all the stuff done by Stallman and the FSF (e.g, all the gnu tools
and gnu userspace without which Linux would be useless).

The problem with Poor Richard's proposal is severalfold:

1. lack of specificity - "let's build a P2P application suite" is a pretty
content free statement - the PeerPoint "specification" really isn't
anything resembling much of a specification

2. lack of vision - Ted Nelson's "Dream Machine's" book and Xanadu concept
never really led to any widely used code, but they sure inspired a lot of
people - precisely because Nelson laid out a vision of new capabilities --
other people went on to implement some of those ideas

3. lack of understanding about how technology evolves - open source or not
- it involves an ecosystem and a process of incremental development,
punctuated by flashes of insight

4. lack of anything motivating - is there really that much dissatisfaction
with FaceBook?  I mean, an awful lot of people use it, and there are
alternatives for old reprobates like me who find FaceBook pretty insipid
and useless (except for keeping track of my kid).  For real work, email
lists have been around an awfully long time, and don't seem to be going
away anytime soon.  The folks who REALLY worry about privacy/secrecy are
using VPNs, encryption, darknets, etc.

"Let's build an application suite" is a mantra that leads to things like
MS Office.  "Let's build an open source application suite" leads to
OpenOffice and LibreOffice - which are essentially not-as-good imitations
of MS Office.  I simply don't see anything in the PeerPoint proposal that
goes beyond "let's do x, y, and z, but let's do it peer-to-peer."

Now if Poor Richard were to start developing stuff, that actually did
useful and interesting things, I expect it would attract a community.  But
just saying "I think people should do <this>," where <this> is generally
uninspired and uninteresting, is not a recipe for anything.

</end rant>

----- End forwarded message -----