PeerPoint (building-a-distributed-decentralized-internet at googlegroups.com)

Poor Richard poor.ricardo at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 16:55:40 PDT 2012

With all due respect, Patrick and others turned this thread in an off-topic
direction. Getting back to the original topic, I would like to know if
there is (or is not) still any interest in this group in discussing p2p
application architecture.

Either way, I encourage all Next Net group members to discuss and to
mention in your blogs, presentations, training, etc. the difference between
real p2p application software (still fairly uncommon and under-developed)
and the useful but corporate-controlled client-server applications like
Google Docs and Google Groups. Most open source/free software also still
uses a client-server architecture. Until end-users learn the difference
between client-server and p2p software architecture it will be hard to pull
the software designers and developers further in the p2p direction.

"Peer-to-peer (abbreviated to P2P) refers to a computer network in which
each computer in the network can act as a client or server for the other
computers in the network, allowing shared access to files and peripherals *without
the need for a central server* [emphasis added]." (Wikipedia)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peer-to-peer

What is less often understood is that the individual applications (such as
email or shared document editing) must also have the p2p architecture built
into each one. So far that is seldom the case. Somehow we must create
greater awareness to drive greater demand for these kinds of p2p software
products.

BTW as far as I can tell, there is no online forum dedicated to the general
topic of p2p application software architecture for free/open source
software designers, developers, engineers, etc. Discussions of p2p
architecture tend to be found mostly in the discussions of specific
p2p networking projects like freenet and FreedomBox and they tend to apply
to the lower-level network routing and file-sharing issues instead of
the higher application software level for real-time, interactive
collaboration. If anyone knows of a general p2p *application* architecture
group or forum, please let me know.

Thanks, PR

----- End forwarded message -----