[tor-relays] Call for discussion: turning funding into more exit relays

Moritz Bartl moritz at torservers.net
Thu Jul 26 07:14:41 PDT 2012

Hi,

What can I say that hasn't been said by others before... :)

We are in contact with reliable ISPs with endpoints in various
countries. They would be willing to cooperate on exits at these
locations. We have not yet talked about prices.

I would say we (as in Torservers.net) are in the position to run
multiple Gbit/s servers for prices at below $1/Mbit at "not your typical
ISP". In theory, we would be able to fulfill the 12.5 Gbit/s alone.
We're about to test a 10Gbit uplink with a Xeon behind it to find out
how far we can push a single server.

That said, we should discuss and come up with a good organizational
structure to reimburse people. Personally, I would only sponsor 100
Mbit/s or more (or maybe even only Gbit). I would set up a template that
asks for ISP information, so we can reject too many exits at one place
(say, a maximum of 1 Gbit/s or even one server per datacenter?).

Do you plan on reimbursing up front for a longer period, or only after?
We would likely need the money up front at least on a monthly basis.

Another option we have that might be more convenient is to decide on the
twelve/thirteen server locations up front and then ask the community to
fill the slots.

Given that there are places where you get Gbit for around or less than
$500, we could use the "extra money" to fund some slower locations. I
would very much like to see a high-bandwidth Iceland exit. The last
quote I got was 500 Euro for 200 Mbit/s (including hardware) at
Advania/ThorDC.

--
Moritz Bartl
https://www.torservers.net/