[Freedombox-discuss] FreedomBox/Unhosted/PageKite for Access Innovation Prize 2012

J.A. Terranson measl at mfn.org
Tue Jul 10 10:49:52 PDT 2012

> ----- Forwarded message from John Gilmore <gnu at toad.com> -----
>
> Sure.  Here are three more scenarios.  What all of them share is that
> YOU choose which friends with static IP addresses to trust, and that
> those friends' FreedomBoxes handle much of the setup and maintenance
> overhead.  These three scenarios don't require ANY centralized
> infrastructure other than a DNS provider that everyone needs anyway.
>
> Since FreedomBox is built out of standardized software, even friends
> who don't have FreedomBoxes can act as your friends, if they are
> already running, or willing to run, that software on their existing
> Linux servers.

<Disclaimer> I'm out of the loop on the central conversation, having only
this forward as a reference, so I may be reinventing prior
suggestion(s) </Disclaimer>

Is there any serious discussion of using [multiple] encrypted layer 2
tunnels? Assuming the tunnelling data is *not* part of the firmware, it
would be lost if the box were disconnected [read: siezed], providing an
extra layer of protection for figuring out who has what where.

//Alif

--
Those who make peaceful change impossible,
make violent revolution inevitable.

An American Spring is coming:
   one way or another.