[tahoe-dev] switching from introducers to gossip?

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Tue Jul 3 10:00:49 PDT 2012

  Don't get me wrong -- I think the p2p style, which foolscap already
  implements part of -- is sweet. I'd like to improve it, in the
  interests of making Tahoe-LAFS deployment more automatic for
  end-users. However, we should probably pay attention to the fact that
  many of our current users do not use those features, and some of them
  are actively requesting the ability to turn off those features.

  Maybe some kind of friendly fork or more targeted packaging would help
  us manage these diverging deployment scenarios?

What needs to be forked?  Isn't it just a question of usage, with a mode
of client-only, server-only, or both, perhaps enabling reverse
connections, and a few other things?  All these issues seem trivial in
terms of code weight relative to what we have now.

----- End forwarded message -----