[cryptography] US Appeals Court upholds right not to decrypt a drive

Benjamin Kreuter brk7bx at virginia.edu
Fri Feb 24 11:59:19 PST 2012

On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 05:30:57 +1000
"James A. Donald" <jamesd at echeque.com> wrote:

> So:  Don't talk to police about the contents of your drive, or indeed
> anything of which they might potentially disapprove.

I believe that you meant to say, "Don't talk to the police at all,"
which should be standard policy for anyone who finds themselves under
arrest.  There is no advantage in talking to the police once you have
been arrested, nothing you say will help in your defense and you are
not going to talk your way out of an arrest.  The odds are stacked
against you during a police interview -- you are talking to people who
have been trained to extract confessions, who are being paid to sit
there interrogating you, and who will pick through what you say to
find incriminating statements.  Stay quiet, speak only to your
attorney, and let your attorney speak on your behalf; you cannot be
penalized for exercising your rights, nor can the fact that you refused
to speak be introduced as evidence against you (at least in the United
States).

-- Ben

--
Benjamin R Kreuter
UVA Computer Science
brk7bx at virginia.edu
KK4FJZ

--

"If large numbers of people are interested in freedom of speech, there
will be freedom of speech, even if the law forbids it; if public

----- End forwarded message -----