[liberationtech] Police using social media for surveillance? -- send us your thoughts

Fabio Pietrosanti (naif) lists at infosecurity.ch
Mon Feb 20 06:09:15 PST 2012

Have you saw tools such as Maltego [1] and/or Palantir [2] to apply deep
OSINT techniques, including social network monitoring and analysis?

Those stuff are already widely used by two kind of people:
- Marketing
- Security (being private/public, democratic or non-democratic)

I am sometime curious to see this huge attention to surveillance
technologies like if it's "something new", while it always existed, it's
there publicly known on the website of surveillance producers and at
surveillance trade-expo.

There are also very nice tools [3] to handle "group of investigators"
doing infiltration in social network using multiple identities, quite
nice tools i've evaluated in past.

-naif

[1] -
http://maltego.blogspot.com/2011/10/maltego-and-social-networks-video.html
[2] - http://www.palantir.com/labs/social-network-analysis
[3] - http://www.terrogence.com/product.php?ID=15

On 2/20/12 5:03 AM, Rami Khater wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Tomorrow (Monday Feb 20th) The Stream is doing a show on how police use social media.  Some say it involves the public in community policing and others raise privacy concerns.
>
> You can participate in the conversation live at 19:30 GMT (2:30 PM EST) via http://stream.aljazeera.com and via the hashtag #ajstream on twitter anytime.

Should you need to change your subscription options, please go to:

If you would like to receive a daily digest, click "yes" (once you click above) next to "would you like to receive list mail batched in a daily digest?"

You will need the user name and password you receive from the list moderator in monthly reminders.

Should you need immediate assistance, please contact the list moderator.

Please don't forget to follow us on http://twitter.com/#!/Liberationtech

----- End forwarded message -----