[drone-list] Let's see if this works!

Chris Nicholas chrisgnicholas at att.net
Mon Feb 13 06:44:28 PST 2012

I wrote my first computer program at 11 in 1971 in BASIC, and of course, it was a bombing simulator (aircraft is flying so fast, so high, drop the bomb so far away; 1/2 a t^2)

My Dad was an aerospace engineer moved to California; we had a private aircraft, and I learned to fly on instruments because I couldn't see over the dashboard. I built balsa wood planes and almost lost my fingers untold times tuning up .049 engines. I did my degree in experimental physics, and worked on classified radar systems, down the hall from a bunch of people on the Tomahawk program. I supported GIS and mapping for Sun Microsystems for many years, and knew a bunch of the guys at DMA (defense mapping agency; forerunner of today's NGA..)  I co-founded GlobeXplorer, now DigitalGlobe's online arm, and now work for a little company in Cupertino that starts with 'A'.

A lot of us were scared shitless when selective availability, the 100m pseudo-random noise, got turned off on the GPS network, making mass, accurate positioning feasible, because we knew this day would come: DIY-drones. A *very* small payload can pack a wallop. Controlled by the wrong intentions, it can create havoc.

"With great power comes great responsiblity."
Chris

Should you need to change your subscription options, please go to:

If you would like to receive a daily digest, click "yes" (once you click above) next to "would you like to receive list mail batched in a daily digest?"

You will need the user name and password you receive from the list moderator in monthly reminders.

Should you need immediate assistance, please contact the list moderator.

----- End forwarded message -----