[Freedombox-discuss] Freedombox For Cloud Services

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn zooko at zooko.com
Fri Feb 10 15:42:47 PST 2012

Hi! I'm a developer on the Tahoe-LAFS project.

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 3:57 AM, Josef Spillner <2005 at kuarepoti-dju.net> wrote:

> A conceptual difference is that Tahoe is targeting homogeneous storage networks, where access to the servers is assumed because they also need to run Tahoe software, whereas NubiSave goes to great lengths (e.g. by contributing new FUSE modules to fuse.sf.net) to be able to talk to existing online storage providers despite their (often found) inability or unwillingness to be talked to in a uniform way.
>
> A second conceptual difference is that Tahoe is more of a (static) RAIC and NubiSave more of a (dynamic) RAOC, where means that security can be traded for cost or proximity can be traded for signup privacy. This mechanism relies on formal provider descriptions.

I don't understand this, and can't say whether I think these two
differences correctly apply to Tahoe-LAFS or not.

> A practical difference is that Tahoe looks like a genuine engineering project, so it is available for more platforms, has better testing, and certainly an existing user base.

Thank you! We certainly work hard at making it reliable and secure.
We're also open to accepting patches that make Tahoe-LAFS better for
your use-case, as long as it doesn't complicate or destabilize the
use-cases of others.

Also, I love the idea of the FreedomBox and would like to see it
become useful to a large number of people.

The basic idea of serving storage from a FreedomBox doesn't sound
incompatible with Tahoe-LAFS architecture to me. One thing that I
would be careful of is not to try to use adhoc storage servers whose
only qualification is "they managed to turn it on and run the
software". This sort of principle of inclusion works great for
transfer, e.g. Bittorrent, but not for storage. Unqualified nodes are
too numerous and too unreliable to be any use for storage. They do
more damage than good. I speak from long and hard experience, having
been an architect of several successive notable failed projects, each
of which attempted to take advantage of unqualified, random nodes to
provide storage.

But, FreedomBox storage servers do not have to be adhoc, unqualified
storage servers. Anything which serves to filter out most of the 99%
of bad servers would do. Possible ways to filter which storage servers
you'll upload your ciphertext to:

1. The storage client has to manually add the storage server ID to a
list of storage servers that she is willing to entrust ciphertext to.
(This is basically what Tahoe-LAFS already offers, although it is
currently mediated by a centralized thing called the "introducer".)

2. The storage server has to be blessed by some trusted authority
before the storage clients will use it. (Again, the current introducer
could sort of be pressed into service for this, but we're actively
working on upgrading that to a more decentralized, flexible, and
secure solution.)

3. The storage server has to have some aggregate "good reputation"
among some collection of users.

4. The storage server is owned by someone in your social network. :-)
I like this idea. When you befriend someone, that automatically grants
them a certain amount of storage space on your FreedomBox.

6. The storage server has to demonstrate 30 consecutive days of better
than 95% uptime before the storage client will entrust storage to it.

7. The storage server has to give a micropayment, let's say one dollar
or one Bitcoin, to the client before the client will start using it.
Then, the client will start paying the server for service. Within a
few weeks or months the server will have earned back its dollar plus
more. But, the initial requirement of a payment in the wrong direction
serves to filter out most of the 99% of servers that are completely
useless. I just came up with this crazy notion just now.

I would encourage people interested in hacking on FreedomBox to try
installing Tahoe-LAFS on it and give it a spin. There's nothing like
practical, hands-on experience to inform your ideas.

However, while you're waiting for it to run its extensive and
time-consuming unit tests, you could also browse some hifalutin ideas:

https://tahoe-lafs.org/pipermail/tahoe-dev/2011-February/006150.html

http://lists.zooko.com/pipermail/p2p-hackers/2011-February/002906.html

http://lists.zooko.com/pipermail/p2p-hackers/2011-August/002979.html

http://lists.zooko.com/pipermail/p2p-hackers/2011-August/002986.html