[liberationtech] Modern FIDONET for net disable countries?

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Mon Dec 31 05:45:38 PST 2012

Eric S Johnson:
> For the record, Burma/Myanmar (MM) has very little cybercensorship
> now (the previous censorship started loosening up in about August
> 2011 and was basicallybnot entirely, but mostlybdropped by the end of
> October 2011).

Hi,

I've just returned from Burma in the last month.

There is total surveillance in Burma on the commercial YTP ISP. They
censor plenty of sites and their BlueCoat proxy devices fail to deliver
content for unblocked sites often. The other networks seem rather under
surveillance as well and they also have censorship.

We (OONI) have data from my trip there and it includes all of the major
networks. We'll write it up and publish all of it soon.

> Ibve been visiting MM since the mid-aughts and have never encountered
> FidoNet there. Havenbt seen it since Africa, mid-nineties. But that
> doesnbt mean it wasnbt/isnbt there.

I haven't seen FidoNet but I did see lots of WiMax, VSAT, GSM/CDMA and
even some discussion of X.25, etc.

> (Vietnam still has a measurable amount of online censorship, but itbs
> not nearly as heavy-handed as Chinabs or Iranbs. Itbs more like
> Ethiopiabs.

Ethiopia has extremely sophisticated censorship:
https://blog.torproject.org/blog/ethiopia-introduces-deep-packet-inspection
https://blog.torproject.org/blog/update-censorship-ethiopia

> Some of Cambodiabs ~30 ISPs censor a half-dozen sites, but thatbs
> hardly serious (the largest, Vietnamese-controlled, ISP doesnbt!).)

The serious problem is the infrastructure even if today it is only used
on a few sites.

All the best,
Jake

----- End forwarded message -----