[liberationtech] Modern FIDONET for net disable countries?

The Doctor drwho at virtadpt.net
Fri Dec 28 14:54:01 PST 2012

On 12/27/2012 11:54 AM, Jerzy Eogiewa wrote:

> I wonder, is some FIDONET type service existing for countries where
> all telecom is disabled? Kind of "sneakernet" for large packets of
> messages to
be delivered.

There are a couple of projects like that right now, but I do no know
how much action they are seeing.

https://github.com/sanity/tahrir

https://github.com/endymion/sneakernet

Project Byzantium has considered using this to synch the datastores of
unlinked meshes via sneakernet:
https://github.com/campadrenalin/EJTP-lib-python

Also, the FidoNET protocol is alive and well:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/fidoip/

http://control.zcu.cz/~flidr/fido/

> 1- I write message to [username, address or hash], encrypt with
> public/private pair. 2- Trusted "sneakernet" collector with some
> software physically arrives and grabs my message, updates my 'ball'
> (or blob?) of crypted messages, in
case other
> sneakernet collector comes.

That would be doable.  I am playing with something like that for CouchDB.

> 3- Maybe when delivery is 100% confirmed this gets added to ball so
> it can be pruned?

Say, if originating nodes get their packets back (the distribution
cycle is complete), and expire the message?

> And so on. Bitcoin style blockchain confirmation seems useful?

That might not be a good idea.  Not only would it result in a list
that can be used to identify nodes, but it also increases overhead and
complexity.  Perhaps 'best effort' is the way to go about this.

It would be useful to determine the capabilities of existing
implementations to see how  many reimplementations of wheels could be
avoided.

- --
The Doctor [412/724/301/703] [ZS|Media]
Developer, Project Byzantium: http://project-byzantium.org/

WWW: https://drwho.virtadpt.net/

Nondeterminism means never having to say you're wrong.