[liberationtech] Why Skype (real-time) is losing out to WeChat (async)

Nathan of Guardian nathan at guardianproject.info
Tue Dec 25 23:07:25 PST 2012

On 12/24/2012 05:10 PM, Maxim Kammerer wrote:
> I think that the reason is simple and obvious: society shifts to
> preferring more impersonal communication. Same reason that teenagers
> prefer texting to talking on phone, and hanging out to dating.

>From what I can tell, it is the exact opposite. The ease of use and
persistent connected design of these apps (aka you have these always-on,
long running group chat rooms), and the ability to quickly send voice
messages and video, makes it MORE personal. The users feel a constant
connection to a whole group of friends no matter where they are on the
planet, and can, with a press of a button, reach out and hear their voice.

I am not saying this is a global phenom, applicable to all societies. I
think within this occupied/exile dynamic, and also where standard
telecomms are difficult, the impact of apps like WeChat and WhatsApp is
perhaps greater than places where Skype, Facetime and Hangout work well.

+n

----- End forwarded message -----