[liberationtech] Quantum computation & communication

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Wed Dec 19 09:30:39 PST 2012

Gregory Foster:
> After reading Assange, et. al.'s "Cypherpunks: Freedom and the Future of
> the Internet", wherein classical encryption is presented as a panacea
> for ensuring privacy in an age of mass surveillance, I found the
> following article succinct in questioning the long-term viability of
> that narrative (or at least insisting on some qualifications).  Quantum
> computation and communication is still a long distance away, but this
> article provides the outlines of how that technology will be used (and
> abused) by the institutions that will be able to afford it.

We didn't state that "classical encryption" is a "panacea." Frankly, we
didn't event present crypto in general as a panacea - rather, we
presented it as a tactical solution that buys time for the social issues
that crop up with a surveillance society, amongst other points.

We discussed strong cryptography but we were hardly limiting it to RSA
or DSA. In any case, most block ciphers aren't thought to be impacted by
quantum computers. DJB (Bernstein_-_Post_Quantum_Cryptography.pdf) has a
great book on the topic.

We tried to state the importance of understanding the threats, the
reality and the world wide market for such technology. Obviously, a lack
of crypto is itself a threat when spying is essentially free. And while
I generally agree that "classical" crypto is only buying time from
specific attackers in the long run, we argued that part of attacking is
targeting - so to blend in with lots of other ciphertext makes the
attacker's job much harder to locate a person.

If you have a specific passage where you feel that we state that
classical encryption is a panacea to the problem of mass surveillance,
I'd hope it is considered in the context of all the social discussion
that has almost nothing to do with cryptography per se.

(In any case, thanks for reading the book, I hope you enjoyed it!)

All the best,
Jacob

----- End forwarded message -----