[liberationtech] Forbes recommends tools for journalists

Steve Weis steveweis at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 15:10:40 PST 2012

Just to go further down the tech tangent...

There are SSD drives with full-disk encryption, such as the Intel 520
series. Here's a paper "Reliably Erasing Data From Flash-Based Solid State
Drives" from Usenix 2011 that analyzes disk sanitation on several SSD
drives. Their conclusion was that built in encryption and sanitization
functions were most effective, but were not always implemented correctly:
http://static.usenix.org/events/fast11/tech/full_papers/Wei.pdf

Regarding storage for disk-encryption keys, PCs with TPMs can seal keys
such that they can only be unsealed if the machine is booted to a
verifiable state. Then you can leave the sealed key on the disk, which is
how Bitlocker works.

Keep in mind that TPMs can be compromised by physical attacks. They aren't
going to protect you from a moderately-funded forensics effort. But if
you're getting information security advice from a Forbes blog, that will be
the least of your worries.

----- End forwarded message -----