[liberationtech] New Satphone Safety Guide

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Thu Dec 13 01:06:08 PST 2012

Collin Anderson:
> I thought I might resurrect this extremely dead thread with an note I found
> after a friend sent a copy of Alan Gross's lawsuit against USG and his
> former employer. It may be of interest to a number of people on the list --
> also I would like author's title, "DCNO FOR INFORMATION DOMINANCE" (with
> caps).
>
> http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/reference/messages/Documents/NAVADMINS/NAV2012/NAV12347.txt
>
> 5.  INMARSAT BGAN DISCREET SUBSCRIBER IDENTITY MODULE (SIM) CARDS ARE
> AN OPTION WHEN PURCHASING SERVICE FROM DISA.  THESE DISCREET SIM
> CARDS PROVIDE INCREASED OPERATIONAL SECURITY PROTECTION.* THE ONE *
> *DRAWBACK IN PURCHASING A DISCRETE SIM CARD COMPARED TO A STANDARD SIM*
> *CARD IS THAT CALL COMPLETION WILL BE DENIED BY THE SERVICING INMARSAT *
> *WHEN OPERATING IN THE CHINA AND RUSSIA GEOGRAPHIC AREAS.* THE COST OF
> THE DISCRETE SIM CARD IS THE SAME AS A STANDARD SIM CARD. IF
> ALTERNATE COMMUNICATIONS ARE NOT AVAILABLE, USERS OF INMARSAT BGAN
> ARE ENCOURAGED TO CONSIDER THE ADDITION OF A STANDARD SIM CARD WHEN
> AN IMPORTANT OPERATIONAL CONNECTION IS NECESSARY.

I found this:

http://www.disa.mil/Services/SATCOM/~/media/Files/DISA/Services/SATCOM/SCO/MSS_Customer_Ordering_Guide.pdf
I guess in theory, with the ISDN module - you could have location
"anonymity" limited to a given spot beam and then the CryptoPhone ISDN
could be used for content confidentiality. That seems almost OK if
you're able to point your transmitter directly at the bird.

I'm still game to acquire one - I guess that DISA (?) won't sell me one?
Will they sell them to the general public?

While sorta unrelated - this seems worth mentioning:

  http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA493741

All the best,
Jacob

----- End forwarded message -----