[liberationtech] Mailvelope: OpenPGP Encryption for Webmail

Karel BĂ­lek kb at karelbilek.com
Wed Dec 12 16:33:54 PST 2012

What I now implemented and put as a github pull request to the original
project:

the extension user can now use a chrome pop-up for writing the mail
(not meaning pop-up as an annoying ad window, but as a chrome
extension window that displays when you click on the extension icon)

AFAIK, no javascript can display such an extension pop-up and also
can't intercept anything.

I also added a big red warning, instructing to open the pop-up, that
shows whenever the original encryption is triggered from inside the
regular webmail DOM (it's still possible to use the extension is
"unsafe" way with mail provider intercepting, but you have to ignore
the warning).

Let's hope Thomas accepts those changes and adds them to the main extension
:)

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 2:31 PM, Karel Bmlek <kb at karelbilek.com> wrote:
> Please write your input here
>
> https://github.com/toberndo/mailvelope/issues/14#issuecomment-11279951
>
> github discussion about this issue
>
> I am really interested if it's solvable in an easy way
>
> On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 8:51 AM, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
>> ----- Forwarded message from Uncle Zzzen <unclezzzen at gmail.com> -----
>>
>> From: Uncle Zzzen <unclezzzen at gmail.com>
>> Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 12:38:40 +0700
>> To: liberationtech <liberationtech at lists.stanford.edu>
>> Subject: Re: [liberationtech] Mailvelope: OpenPGP Encryption for Webmail
>>
>> The reason why FireGPG no longer ships with tails is that the DOM of a web
>> app is not a safe place for plaintext

https://tails.boum.org/doc/encryption_and_privacy/FireGPG_susceptible_to_deva
stating_attacks/