[ZS] Fwd: [London-Futurists] SCRAP U.K. bCOMMUNICATIONS DATA BILLb PETITION

Gary Mulder flyingkiwiguy at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 16:56:12 PST 2012

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: *Lisa Austen*
Date: Thursday, 13 December 2012
Subject: [London-Futurists] SCRAP U.K. bCOMMUNICATIONS DATA BILLb PETITION
To: london-futurists-list at meetup.com

 Dear Friends,

The United Kingdom could soon become a "surveillance superpower" --- more
so than it already is --- following today's publication of the draft
Communications Data Bill by the U.K. government.

This Bill waives every single privacy law ever enacted in the name of
"cyber security". Allowing the bintelligence agencies" to spy on British
citizens on British soil goes against every principle this country was
founded on.

Internet firms will be required to give intelligence agency GCHQ access to
communications on demand, in real time.

The Home Office says the move is key to tackling crime and terrorism. They
have no right to attack our privacy, if the legislation goes through,
Britain will be no different from regimes it criticises such as China and
Iran.

It would enable intelligence officers to identify who an individual or
group is in contact with, how often and for how long. They would also be
able to see which websites someone had visited.

The U.K. government says it will spend B#1.8 billion ($2.8bn) once the bill
passes through Parliament. Critics say it could cost as much as B#2 billion
($3.1bn). It's a good job we're not in a double dip recession. Oh, wait..!!

If you donbt agree with this Bill then please sign this petition and share
your views on this subject; those who agree with the bill are also welcome
to have a debate on this issue.

Government should scrap plans immediately.
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/32400

Written by Lisa Austen 11.12.12

--
Please Note: If you hit "*REPLY*", your message will be sent to
.

 Meetup, PO Box 4668 #37895 New York, New York 10163-4668<#13b911c3d59b8987_>|
support at meetup.com <javascript:_e({}, 'cvml', 'support at meetup.com');>

----- End forwarded message -----