[liberationtech] /. ITU Approves Deep Packet Inspection

Nicholas Judd nick at nclarkjudd.com
Wed Dec 5 10:11:08 PST 2012

Hi list, Nick from techPresident here. If I could tap into your hive-mind intelligence for a moment to help me be more precise about explaining why this is an issue, I would appreciate it ...

Governments, intelligence organizations and assorted nogoodniks already use deep-packet inspection, so the declaration of a standard for DPI comes off as vaguely Orwellian but not news. I'm searching for a way to explain the privacy-advocate position on this is both accurately and concisely.

The sense I get from CDT's blog post is that there are three reasons why this is more than just creepy in principle:

1. The standard outlines ways that, in the ITU's view, ISPs should structure their operations so that highly invasive surveillance can function;
2. Under current governance, this standard could be as widely ignored as the <blink> tag, but ISPs could be forced to comply if the ITU becomes a must-follow standards-making body for the Internet b meaning all traffic in every ITU member state, in this extreme example, would be vulnerable by design;
3. On principle, IETF and W3C don't address standards for surveillance, highlighting another way the ITU is ideologically removed from the way the Internet is now governed.

Am I on target here?

----- End forwarded message -----