Six Strike Rule (Was: William was raided...)

Barry Shein bzs at world.std.com
Wed Dec 5 09:22:02 PST 2012

On December 4, 2012 at 11:10 jason at thebaughers.com (Jason Baugher) wrote:
 > We don't do content inspection. We don't really want to know what our
 > customers are doing, and even if we did, there's not enough time in the day
 > to spend paying attention. When we get complaints from the various
 > copyright agencies, we warn the customer to stop. When we hit a certain
 > number of complaints, its bye-bye customer.

This is why there's a need for some sort of reasonable, organized
response outlined in writing.

In my experience law enforcement (and others) will try to shift
whatever investigative tasks are convenient to them to anyone in the
loop.

Why not, it costs them nothing to have you running around all day and
night doing investigative work for them.

They will generally cite the seriousness of the underlying crime as
(bottomless) justification for your contribution.

The rational response is to sit down as a group within some framework
and come to some agreement* with them as to what is a reasonable and
sufficient response in these cases.

Otherwise you're just the complaint desk at Macy's taking all comers
and subject to whatever they can dream up to try to get you to solve
their problems.

* Agreement with LEOs is best, a unilateral document would at least
open discussion one would hope and move towards that end.

--
        -Barry Shein

Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Dial-Up: US, PR, Canada

----- End forwarded message -----