[tahoe-dev] Tahoe-LAFS Desktop Indicator

Sergio Rubio rubiojr at frameos.org
Sun Dec 2 09:03:10 PST 2012

> Sergio,
>
> This indicator looks pretty neat. Thanks for sharing this on tahoe-dev!

It is my pleasure to post here. Tahoe-LAFS is a truly unique piece of
free software, cryptography for the masses. I should be the one to
thank you guys for that.

> The demo video shows you using a
> commandline tool called filefm, which I have hot heard of before as well.
>
> A quick search on the tahoe trac did not yield any results about that
> either. Would you mind explaining this tool, its advantages over
> standard tahoe cli and your setup as well?

Yeah, it's still under heavy development and unreleased (the Tahoe
bits). It's pretty much like 'tahoe cp' I guess, you can upload and
download files and directories (recursively). The main difference is
that it's both a CLI command and a library, and also supports
OpenStack Swift and Rackspace Cloudfiles using a uniform API, with AWS
S3 support comm coming ing soon.

I'm a Swift cluster maintainer myself (day job) and I used to run a
Swift cluster for myself too, now being replaced with Tahoe, since I
like to host my servers with different providers world wide and I love
my data to be encrypted there.

Currently I'm running a small Tahoe cluster with 5 storage nodes (2
@home, 3 elsewhere, ~1TB of storage) with a public SFTP gateway and a
private HTTP one (in my laptop). The easy of setup and maintenance
(compared to Swift) and the built-in encryption just blows my mind
away. As I said before, a truly unique piece of software.

I'm currently interested in making Tahoe-LAFS easier to use for some
folks who don't like CLI that much but still wanna join my network and
share stuff, so I created the AppIndicator. Currently pretty dumb, but
I plan to add some more features to it, so they can setup the whole
thing without having to resort to the CLI (local gateway setup via
wizard, easy creation and upload of files/folders, preferences GUI to
customize tahoce.cfg, etc). I've got plans to create a roadmap for it
and share it here, if that's of interest to you guys.

Thanks for the kind words.

----- End forwarded message -----