[HacDC:Byzantium] Byzantium Discovery PDF

Ben Mendis ben.mendis at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 11:44:29 PDT 2012

Here is the core of the authentication issue: It's necessary to one of
our scenarios, but a non-starter for the other.

The Doctor and many of the more paranoid members of this list they
envision Byzantium as the solution to a technologically sophisticated
adversary who as taken control of their Internet access. They look to
examples like Syria and think that anything less that perfect anonymity
is just going to get people killed. They are concerned with hiding and
staying hidden while still communicating with the outside world.

On the other hand, if we're talking about a natural disaster such as
Haiti or Katrina or DC-when-the-wind-blows, then having some
authentication (even if it is weak) could be vital to organizing an
effective response and recovery effort. Users would be communicating
with their friends and neighbors or emergency responders, not random
strangers. Far from hiding, they want to be found and identified and
helped.

This all hinges on whether or not we anticipate that a technologically
sophisticated adversary is out to get us. In my opinion Syria is a
special case. On the other hand, natural disasters (big and small) are a
fact of life in every part of the world.

We're revisiting the issue of solving for Katrina versus solving for
Egypt. I think we need to keep focusing on solving for Katrina first.
However, as a concession to the Egypt use case, any
authentication/identity solutions we come up with should be strictly
optional.

That said, implementing distributed authentication/identity is a hard
problem, so it behooves us to start thinking about it early and
investigating the possibilities.

Ben the Pyrate.

----- End forwarded message -----