[liberationtech] What I've learned from Cryptocat

frank at journalistsecurity.net frank at journalistsecurity.net
Mon Aug 6 22:19:44 PDT 2012

   Hey guys,

   I appreciate the importance and depth of this discussion. But I also
   wish to underscore that most of the people who are at risk are not
   using any tools whether they be CrytoCat, PGP, GChat or others for the
   simple reason that they either cannot figure them out, or don't have
   time to figure them out, or both. And I am talking about people at risk
   in many different nations.

   No doubt the functional security of tools is an indispensable,
   essential concern. Ignoring any vulnerabilities is dangerous, indeed.
   But the usability of the same tools and making them accessible to
   non-technologists is just as big a concern, in my view. I know you guys
   think that many such users including Western journalists are simply
   lazy. But many, if not most of the available tools are simply not
   intuitive, or not as much as most technologists who already know how to
   use them seem to think.

   How many people on this list have spent time asking non-technologists
   and other users who have tried, but have since given up even trying to
   use tools like PGP? Or have examined how new users interact with such
   tools? I have a great deal of respect for this community. But to be
   honest it seems to me that neither the technologists nor the donors
   have spent much time asking such questions.

   If a novice user make a mistake in PGP, for example, it's over. Options
   are not intuitive if you don't already know them. And if you hit the
   wrong button, you can end up at a deadend with no guidance how to get
   back on track. Trust me. I know. And I am not trashing PGP. I know well
   and fully appreciate it's value and I have used it and continue to use
   it hostile environments. And I also know that users and only users can
   make crucial choices during use for their own security. I get that,
   too. But most digital security tools still do not do a good job of
   laying out, let alone explaining the options. And I say that with
   respect for the value of the tools and options themselves.

   Cryptocat is one of the most user-friendly tools out there, and I think
   Nadim deserves credit for the effort. Of course, the vulnerabilities
   must be fixed before anyone should use it in a hostile environment.
   Although the level of vulnerability might also depend on the nature of
   the threat in any particular environment. But I also think we need to
   spend as much time making tools accessible as we do making them secure
   if we are going to reach the people who really need them. And right now
   few if any of these tools are having the reach that we all agree is
   needed. And that is an issue largely of usability.

   I think with more constructive collaboration we would achieve both. We
   need to. Thanks.

   Best, Frank

   Frank Smyth

   Executive Director

   Global Journalist Security

   [1]frank at journalistsecurity.net

   Tel.  + 1 202 244 0717

   Cell  + 1 202 352 1736

   Twitter:  @JournoSecurity

   Website: [2]www.journalistsecurity.net

   [3]PGP Public Key

   Please consider our Earth before printing this email.

   Confidentiality Notice: This email and any files transmitted with it
   are confidential. If you have received this email in error, please
   notify the sender and delete this message and any copies. If you are
   not the intended recipient, you are notified that disclosing, copying,
   information is strictly prohibited.