Web freedom faces greatest threat ever, warns Google's Sergey Brin

Lauren Weinstein lauren at vortex.com
Sun Apr 15 09:51:37 PDT 2012

  "The principles of openness and universal access that underpinned the
  creation of the Internet three decades ago are under greater threat than
  ever, according to Google co-founder Sergey Brin.  In an interview with
  the Guardian, Brin warned that there were "very powerful forces that have
  lined up against the open Internet on all sides and around the world. I am
  more worried than I have been in the past it's scary."  He said the threat
  to the freedom of the Internet came from a combination of governments
  increasingly trying to control access and communication by their citizens,
  the entertainment industry attempting to crack down on piracy, and the
  rise of "restrictive" so-called walled gardens such as Facebook and Apple,
  which tightly controlled what software could be released on their
  platforms."  http://j.mp/IJN8Z1  (Guardian)

I agree 100% with Sergey.  And regardless of how you personally feel
about Google, to try deny the truth of his remarks is beyond foolish.