OnStar Begins Spying On Customers’ GPS Location For Profit

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at speakeasy.net
Wed Sep 21 04:27:34 PDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-09-21 at 12:07 +0200, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> http://www.zdziarski.com/blog/?p=1270
>
> OnStar Begins Spying On Customersb GPS Location For Profit
>
> Posted on September 20, 2011 by Jonathan Zdziarski
>
> I canceled the OnStar subscription on my new GMC vehicle today after
> receiving an email from the company about their new terms and conditions.
> While most people, I imagine, would hit the delete button when receiving
> something as exciting as new terms and conditions, being the nerd sort, I
> decided to have a personal drooling session and read it instead. Ibm glad I
> did. OnStarbs latest T&C has some very unsettling updates to it, which
> include the ability to sell your personal GPS location information, speed,
> safety belt usage, and other information to third parties, including law
> enforcement. To add insult to a slap in the face, the company insists they
> will continue collecting and selling this personal information even after you
> cancel your service, unless you specifically shut down the data connection to
> the vehicle after canceling.

Seriously? If I had know they were going to do this, I would have said
we should have let GM just go bankrupt. I am horrified we (the
government) bailed out this excuse for a company.

I'm not buying another GM vehicle. In fact, I'm not sure I'm even
comfortable driving a GM vehicle after reading this.

--
Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn at speakeasy.net>