Good free mildly-private email service?

StealthMonger StealthMonger at nym.mixmin.net
Mon Oct 31 07:57:17 PDT 2011

Bill Stewart <bill.stewart at pobox.com> writes:

> I'm looking for a free email service that isn't linked to one of the major
> players.

> I'd prefer one that doesn't make me provide my "real" email address to send
> some kind of confirmation code to (otherwise I need to string a couple of
> those together to get the amount of privacy I want.)

> I don't need NSA-proof or even subpoena-proof, but I do want something
> that's not linkable to Google/Yahoo/Hotmail/OpenID/Disqus/Facebook/etc. (or
> fastmail or pobox, who I use for other services.)

Have you considered stealthmail?  See mailto: below.

   Package: stealthmail
   Architecture: all
   Pre-Depends: gnupg
   Depends: procmail, esubbf, openssl, dc, libssl0.9.6 | libssl0.9.7,
    fetchmail | kmail, suck, ppp, solid-pop3d, exim | exim4, dpkg (>= 1.10.21),
    grep (>= 2.5), bash (>= 2.05b), ${shlibs:Depends}, ${misc:Depends}
    Maintain on-going random cover traffic via usenet newsgroup
    alt.anonymous.messages, substituting encrypted live traffic when
    available.  A live message is indistinguishable from a random cover
    message except with the decryption keys.  All potential participants
    send messages to alt.anonymous.messages with rigid periodicity
    uncorrelated with any live traffic, and maintain an uninterrupted
    full feed from alt.anonymous.messages, so that an observer cannot
    determine whether, when, or among whom live communication is
    happening.
    .
    Members of a "stealthmail group" -- call it "OurGroup" for purposes
    of this discussion -- are defined by their knowledge of the
    encryption keys created for the group.  With this package installed,
    mail addressed to OurGroup at stealthmail does not go directly to the
    Internet like ordinary mail, but gets encrypted by the OurGroup key,
    given an encrypted subject intelligible only with OurGroup keys, and
    queued to go to alt.anonymous.messages in place of a piece of cover
    traffic at the next scheduled sending time.  Meanwhile, all messages
    appearing on alt.anonymous.messages are downloaded into an incoming
    queue.  A POP3 server runs on the local host.  The mail reader is
    provided with filters so that when it fetches mail from this local
    server, messages having subject lines encrypted for OurGroup (or any
    other stealthmail group of which this host is a member) are decrypted
    by the appropriate key and presented.  Other messages are discarded.

- --

 -- StealthMonger <StealthMonger at nym.mixmin.net>
    Long, random latency is part of the price of Internet anonymity.

   anonget: Is this anonymous browsing, or what?
   http://groups.google.ws/group/alt.privacy.anon-server/msg/073f34abb668df33?dmode=source&output=gplain

   stealthmail: Hide whether you're doing email, or when, or with whom.
   mailto:stealthsuite at nym.mixmin.net?subject=send%20index.html

Key: mailto:stealthsuite at nym.mixmin.net?subject=send%20stealthmonger-key