Good free mildly-private email service?

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Sun Oct 30 15:10:41 PDT 2011

I'm looking for a free email service that isn't linked to one of the major
players.
I'd prefer one that doesn't make me provide my "real" email address to send
some kind of confirmation code to (otherwise I need to string a couple of
those together to get the amount of privacy I want.)
I don't need NSA-proof or even subpoena-proof, but I do want something
that's not linkable to Google/Yahoo/Hotmail/OpenID/Disqus/Facebook/etc. (or
fastmail or pobox, who I use for other services.)

I used to be able to use dodgeit.com for receive-only email, but they seem
to be dead.

By the way, I've found one semi-convenient way to keep web-id accounts
separate - I'm running VMware Player on my laptop, and keep separate
virtual machines, so any conversations I have with Facebook are really
really separate from anything else.  (I got tired of reading the news
online and seeing different newspapers saying "Here are the articles your
friends are reading today!".)  Some of this could be done with a chroot
jail and/or separate Mozilla profiles, but this way I don't have to worry
about Flash cookies or other new creative nonsense leaking around.   And it
makes it easy to run Linux on my work Windows machine.)

	Thanks; Bill