[Freedombox-discuss] Allied Efforts.

The Doctor drwho at virtadpt.net
Tue Oct 25 09:24:42 PDT 2011

On 10/19/2011 03:36 PM, ya knygar wrote:

> "Rooting the phone will allow for adhoc mesh network capability and
> is required for full functionality of the software. By choosing not
> to root the phone,

This means that the batman-adv.ko module the Serval software package
includes will be installed and configurable.  It is a good mesh
routing protocol to use - it works well in our experience.

> b" Adhoc will enable you to participate in a mesh network. This
> option will only be available if you have super-user privileges on
> the phone.

Also, if the manufacturer of the phone (or third-party firmware
installed on the phone) permits it.  Android v2.1 packaged by HTC is
dodgy at best in this respect.

> "subproject ... to create an application that allows to spread
> files over the mesh network by exchanging with servers that the
> handset can see (could be peers and web servers). This app will
> eventually be merged to batphone."
>
> some code here - https://github.com/rbochet/Rhizome-Retriever/

Nice.  Thank you for the link.

>> Byzantium is a distribution of Linux which makes it easy to set
>> up an ad-hoc wireless mesh infrastructure.
>
>> Byzantium, preferring instead to make maximal use of commodity
>> hardware already extant (namely, laptops, netbooks, and wi-fi
>> enabled mobile devices).
>
> That means - the users would need to install a separate Linux
> distro on all these devices?

No, and my statement was slightly incorrect.  Let me see if I can
clarify (read: have I had enough coffee this morning?):

Laptops and netbooks that are capable of booting from a USB key or
/*?-ROM/ disk can be used to set up mesh nodes.  Other equipment
(wi-fi enabled mobile devices) can then make use of the mesh without
having to install anything extra.  In this way, minimally flexible
devices can be used with a minimum of hassle, while maximally flexible
devices (general purpose computers) can be used as both infrastructure
and client (due to the include desktop (KDE v3.5) and applications).

> Do you plan to provide the packages or virtual "images" to the
> existing OS's?

Plans to do so (including a meta-package for Debian) are on the
drawing board, but we want to get to at least beta before moving
forward on this.

It is also my understanding that the technology that will be used by
the Freedombox for configuration and control is very similar to that
which we are using for Byzantium Linux (Python and CherryPy, though
the templating libraries we use differ).

> Distribution for the routers?

That will likely be unnecessary.  At least insofar as third party
router firmware is concerned (namely, dd-wrt), packages for mesh
routing software are already available and usable.  Our early tests
involved .apks of BATMAN and OLSR that 'just worked'.  We are
considering including .apk files for mesh routing protocols for the
top two or three opensource routing distributions in the Byzantium
library but again, we want to release a beta before moving forward on
this.

> Applications for the poor mobile devices which are messed and would
> be messed enough so user can't install another or replacing OS on
> them?

Ideas for this are also on the drawing board.  Whether or not
appropriate jailbreaking methods will have to be included remains to
be seen.

- --

The Doctor [412/724/301/703]

WWW: https://drwho.virtadpt.net/